Friday, January 27, 2012

Storybook Bird House!


I purchased a few Little Golden Books at my local library for 50 cents each and turned them into cute little storybook bird houses!

It was pretty simple and fun to make! 
All you need is:
  • A book of your choice
  • A wooden bird house (or you can chose to make one yourself)
  • Mod Podge
  • Scissors and paint brush
  • Paint, if you desire.
I started by taking the pre-made birdhouse that I purchased from Michael's for about $5.


I chose to paint the edges purple and yellow, so using a sponge brush I applied a light layer of paint all the way around. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about making it perfect because the pictures are going to cover up most of the mistakes.


 Then, using a scrap piece of paper I traced the shapes of the sides on the birdhouse... so that I could use them for a stencil. For Example: on my birdhouse there are 6 triangles around the top and 6 rectangles for the sides, so I made a triangle stencil and a rectangle stencil. (If your birdhouse has different shapes you will need to make a stencil for each shape)

Then, I copied the stencils throughout the book to get the pictures that I wanted around my birdhouse.

 


I cut them out with scissors and I was ready to go!
(For the front picture, I used an X-Acto knife to cut out the hole and the peg on the front of the birdhouse)

I, then, applied a thin layer of Mod Podge on the sides of the birdhouse...placed the picture down...then Mod Podged over them. I repeated this for every side and around the top until it was completely covered.




I decided to keep the pictures in order around the birdhouse clockwise, so that you could still follow the story as you turned the birdhouse around! I even added two of my favorite quotes to the birdhouse "I shall always be with you" on the front and "You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" on the very bottom!




*They are so cute! And if you are making a birdhouse with the standard two-planked peak on the top, you can always lay the cover over it so that the roof is make out of the covers of the book!!*


No comments:

Post a Comment